Friday, May 25, 2012

My Character

   I grew up in a small town in central Illinois. I plan to write about it sometime. It baffles many people who know me that that could possibly be true. The truth is yes, it's a very small town, and yes, it's conservativeness stifled me. 
   But the real truth behind me is my family.......especially my parents.
   Over the years, I've wanted many people in my life to visit my hometown. Partly to be shocked by it's size, but mostly because I wanted them to meet my family.....the people who shaped me and gave me context for the world. From the minute I was born, I've been surrounded by such diversity. My family felt that music was incredibly important to my upbringing, and I still feel the benefits of that early training. I was surrounded by laughter, smart-ass jokes, intellect, and love. At an early age, I was shown the importance of a kind smile and a firm handshake. I spent many years hanging out with the adults, and don't remember ever feeling out of place. Some of my favorite moments are the dinners we had together.....some were spent hearing stories of my grandfather's childhood, and others were discussing local and national politics. I've had the pleasure of knowing a few of the most upstanding politicians to come out of Illinois. And while politics aren't the most exciting things to kids, I knew I was getting a to see a bit of history in the making. 
   All of those people, the conversation, the inspiration....dug itself into me. I took it for granted, as many kids do, only later realizing how unbelievably good I had it. But one thing I don't think I completely took for granted were my parents.
   They may tell you things......like how they worked all the time.....or weren't active enough in my childhood. And yes, to a degree that is true. They forget all of important marks they made on me. Many of their younger years together were spent traveling the world. Pictures of these travels hang in places around our house. These travels inspired them to host foreign exchange students throughout my life. And that, in turn, inspired my own decision to be a foreign exchange student in Japan for my senior year of high school. And the love they have and always had for each other, while still a dream in my own personal life, proves it is possible.
   My parents trust in me as their child and as a human being instilled a confidence. A confidence and an independence so deep within me, that no matter what I have faced or will face, I return a stronger person. This strength is often one of the first things people notice about me. 
   I could keep listing things, but the message is they taught me that the world is a much bigger place and we are responsible for it and for treating its inhabitants with kindness and respect. This may sound trite, but it amazes me how many people aren't aware of the bigger picture, and how they can effect someone.
   So while many of you will probably never meet my family, you see them in everything I do. Without their strength, love, understanding, depth, and fun, I would not be SuperKate. 

No comments: